Friday, June 29, 2012

Marathon is much like L.I.F.E.






Ready. 
Set. 
Go!!!


Gun start.


Not that I have ran a marathon already, or even dared a half marathon; But really, marathon is like your life and mine.

I realized this when I was in the middle of my run last May, for the Sundown Marathon here in Singapore. Although it was just a 10k run, I have given my best effort that night. I clearly remember that I'm not even past 2km when suddenly I felt a pang of abdominal pain. It was on the lower left side of my tummy. I got scared. And I even told myself, why now dear Lord. I have started quite good, in my constant pace when that pain came. I don't want to stop running because I know it won't relieve also that fast. So what I did was just slowed my pace, in a brisk walk momentum, as the 11,000 more runners were sprinting past over me. I cannot do anymore but brisk walk. I guess, for quite more than 1km, I was like that. And little by little, the pain became tolerable. To add with the sacrifice, it was damn hot night, maybe not that hot, but because of so many people running, the humidity at Nicholl Highway area shoot up. I was sweaty all over, literally, my sweat is dripping down off my dri-fit running shorts. I could have chosen to stop, to let not finish my first ever night run, but I managed to continue and finish it.

Life is just like that. You were born here on earth. And through the years, difficulties will haunt you from day in and out. But it shouldn't make you surrender and give up on life. Learn to endure. All those pains, those hardships. Try to focus on your goal. With each step you take, with each run, in whatever pace you choose to have, sooner you'll realize that you have made it. 

And before midnight, we finished our race. Got our finishers' medal. And we are happy.




Next week, I'll be running again,
Excited for The Jurong Lake Run. :)







No comments: